Tuesday, February 25, 2014

UNCERTAINTY!

     I don't like uncertainty! Does anyone? I like to know what time I am going to work tomorrow. I like to know when my project deadlines are. I like to know when I'm going to meet up with my friends. And I always would like to know where I will be living in 4 months time.

     At this moment, I am living with uncertainty.I am a Peace Corps volunteer in the youth development sector in Azerbaijan. Last October, the youth development contract with Azerbaijan expired. The ministry here that we are under does not want to renew our contract and has asked us to leave 6 months early. I was originally supposed to leave in December. Now I have to be out of the country by June 30th.

     There may be options. The option I am pursuing is to switch to another sector. For this to happen, my current counterpart would need to fell out an application for the new sector, (she has) Peace Corps needs to support the switch, (they do) and the new ministry would need to be OK with having me under their jurisdiction. (they d...)?

     I like this option. I want to stay. I like where I live. I have a great work site with a wonderful counterpart. And most importantly, I get to work with the best youth!! I have projects to do that can only be done if I don't leave in June. There is a 3rd option. Transferring to another country...which I would do only if I can't stay here.

     This is a lot of uncertainty for me. As of July 1, what country will I be living in? What job will I be doing? For me, it's difficult to move forward in a positive way when I have no idea what my my life will be like in 4 months. To be completely honest, having little or no control is a little scary.

     But there are some things I've learned over the past 10 years or so which help:

1. I grow the most as a human being when I have little/no control. When this happens, I have a choice. I can freak out (which I have done a bit in this situation) or I can take a breath and know that no matter what happens, it will be OK.
2. Things always change. No matter how stressful, things will always, eventually change.
3. No matter what happens, God is good. He loves me no matter what and I always grow closer to Him in difficult times.

     No matter what work I do. where I live, what joys and struggles I face, home is where the heart is. I know it's a cliche, but it's true. My heart is with my friends... with the people I love and who love me no matter the circumstance.

     So, Azerbaijan.... another country... America...wherever...Life moves forward and more learning and loving awaits.


My group all together earlier this month.

The icicles melting in front of my house.


2 comments:

  1. Merrill: Sorry my wife and I didn't know about you being in Sheki -- we were there in October at the time of the election. Now to the serious question, which if you don't want to comment on, it is understandable. This is concerning: On the one hand Azerbaijan Cozying up with the governemnt of the State of New Mexico so that we provide economic assistance in terms of the development of petroleum technologies, and the exchange of students to come to New Mexico State University and NEw Mexico Tech to pursue degrees and conduct research in mineral/oil extraction. There have been meetings, and there is scheduled to be a meeting with President Aliyev in the near future. The flip side of this is the "clearance" of the Peace Corps volunteers, especially in youth development and education. So there seems to be a conflict in seeming intentions sufficient to warrant questions to the Azeri Ambassador to the US as to their intentions before we move forward. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete