Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Going home...

I haven’t blogged in a while because I haven’t known exactly what will happen. In fact, my last blog was about uncertainty. I still don’t know exactly my future will be, but Ill share what I know.
Back last Octoberish, the YD (youth development) program’s contract here in Azerbaijan expired. The Ministry of Sport and Youth did not want to renew the contract, but Peace Corps believed that everyone in my sector may be able to finish our service. In February, PC was told that the YD’s had to leave Azerbaijan 6 months early. For me, that means June. But, PC was kind enough to help those of us who wanted to stay find a way. So, I was going to transfer into the TEFL sector. (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) My primary organization is a university, so being a TEFL under the Minister of education would be a good fit. Switching sectors was approved. And I was planning to extend a third year to work on some specific projects, which I started. The plan was to submit my name to the Minister of Education with the new group of Volunteers coming to Azerbaijan and finishing their training in June. (there were a few others in my group also choosing this route.) The day before the new group of volunteers was to begin their staging, the Ministry of Education informed Peace Corps that they would not take a new group of volunteers this year because they want to focus on reforms this year. So, they are not accepting new TEFL volunteers this year. The group was cancelled, and for those of us who were switching sectors… this was no longer an option. So, now all of the YD’s from my group must leave in June.
Im crushed. Let me tell you why. Some of it has to do with the feelings that go along with not finishing a Peace Corps service…. Again! I know that in some ways I’m being silly. I’ve worked hard at both of my services and a few things have gotten done. But there are projects that have had to be let go… they are uncompleted. I don’t like leaving things undone. But mainly, I feel really bad because I have to leave the people I work with way to early. I have been blessed to have a wonderful counterpart at the university. She welcomed me, worked with me, allowed me to express ideas and always, always encouraged me. There are things we have been working on together that won’t be done…. And I feel very bad about that because my counterpart is responsible for a lot of my success here. Another counterpart was kind enough to take me into her class and work on other projects with me… and have me in her home and make me feel welcome. There are some great teachers at the university! And then, there are the students. I have been able to work with and be friends with some amazing people. The young people I have worked with here have been very welcoming to me. They work hard and have been a pleasure to work with. I have learned far more from them than I have taught them. They’re great and I love them.
There you go. My heart is a little bit broken. It will be so hard to leave Azerbaijan… and especially the people in Sheki. But I have been blessed. I thank God for the opportunity I have had.
What’s next? Good question. The YD’s have been offered the possibility of transferring. I’m going to give it a try. I have applied to transfer to work in the Philippines. Now I have already had a few people ask me why I would do that? Well, the answer is pretty simple. I love working with kids and it would be another chance to do it full time. And, after 2 different PC countries, I just want to finish 1 program. I have not completely finished a PC tour, and that feels…bad. I want to do it right, finish projects, say goodbye at the right time, experience closure.
PC Philippines is not a done deal. There is a hold-up getting cleared through PC medical. Hopefully, that will happen soon. In the meantime, I feel like I’m in Limbo. Should I be applying for jobs online now? Hard to do yet. If I don’t get the transfer, Im leaning on going home, working and applying for graduate school for next year (too late for this year) to get a master’s in education and a teaching credential. If there is one lesson PC Lesotho and Azerbaijan has taught me, I should be working with kids.
My COS (close of service) date is June 12th. I leave Sheki June 10 and leave the country on the 12th. If I get into PC Philippines, I would come home and then leave for staging on July 7. If I don’t, then I’ll be home for awhile.
Either way, one thing I want my friends in California to know is that I love all of you very, very much, I miss you and can’t wait to see you all. Ill keep blogging before I leave and let you know what’s happening.

Here’s a few pics from some recent adventures. Love you!!!

Seeing Ganja for the first time.

A house made with bottles


I stayed with my friend Kevin. See what I had to put up with?

At the pilgrimage in Qax. Its an Eastern Orthodox twice a year event.

People lighting their candles on the hike up to the church

The church at the top of the hill. Some people walk barefoot up the hill which signifies an extra sacrifice. You're supposed to walk around the church 3 times saying your prayers.

Inside the church


The church from the bottom of the hill


No comments:

Post a Comment