Saturday, May 31, 2014

My last blog in Azerbaijan.
I’ve been here 20 months. And in many ways it seems like yesterday. I really loved being a Peace Corps Volunteer here. Yes of course, like anywhere, there were good and bad days. Days where being in the fish bowl was exhausting and the cultural differences felt insurmountable. But for every one of those days, there were 2 more that were sweet! Sweet with new friendships, both Azerbaijani and American. Sweet with different, good new foods to try. Sweet when working with/hanging out with the most amazing students. Sweet during those moments when it seemed like my service was worthwhile.
Leaving Azerbaijan is bittersweet. Sweet because of the good stuff, and bitter because it wasn’t my choice and came way too early. But regardless of that, I appreciate my time in Azerbaijan. It has changed me for the better!
What’s next? Good question. Im not entirely sure yet. Im going home in a few hours. I have been so busy here saying goodbye to Azerbaijani and Americans, finishing projects… and just finishing well that I haven’t really felt what going home means. And frankly, Im a little nervous. Im so excited to see the people I have missed so, so much. So excited to get/give hugs. So excited to catch up on your lives and share my experience in Azerbaijan. And a little nervous. This has been a huge experience for me. And while Ive been gone, everyone’s life in America whom I love… their lives have moved on as well. I have missed it… by my choice of serving in Peace Corps. And Im sad about this. I yearn to catch up… for things to be as they were. But they wont be. Everyone has changed. We all had to have changed. Life experience makes us change. And there has been 20 months of change. The dumb questions that run through my mind is: will we connect? Will it be as easy and comfortable as before? Will they still like me? Ok, its hard to admit being like a 5 year old and having those questions, but there they areJ
But with all of that, I cant wait to see you all. Azerbaijan and PC friends, I will miss for you!!! I will never forget how wonderful you are and what I will learn from you. Be safe, be well and we will talk again!! I don’t plan on this being goodbye. (technology is amazing)
And for my California friends, I have never forgotten what you all mean/have done for me, and while Im a little nervous, I cant wait because I love you all so much.
Next step… Im trying to transfer into PC Philippines. Im hoping to finish one service completely in PC J I don’t know yet if it will happen. There is one medical test I have to do… and thanks to a wonderful friend, I will do it Monday morning at 930. Thanks Brenda!!! If that doesn’t work out, than I get a job and work towards going back to schools for a masters and a teaching credential.
So, the last blog in Azerbaijan, but not the last blog. More next week
Love you guys.

Sağ olun

No comments:

Post a Comment